Thursday, May 24, 2012

"I'm leaving, on a jet plane..."

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go; I'm standing here outside the door. . . the dawn is breaking, it's early morn, the taxi's waiting, he's blowing his horn..."

Ok, so I took just a few creative liberties with the lyrics, but what better song to use in my last European post? Last European post? Unbelievable. It's going to be weird to not put up a post everyday (sadly though, my day to day life is far less interesting than when I'm travelling abroad).

So for my last day in Europe, I didn't do much. I sat outside in this little 'court yard' area the hostel has, and for most of the day, just started to re-read my book. It's been lovely weather here the last couple days, and since I've seen practically everything I wanted, it was nice to just enjoy the sun the last couple days.

I am showered and scrubbed down, packed with my clothes laid out for tomorrow, my taxi is reserved to take me to the airport at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning (that means early to bed tonight and up early tomorrow - grimace), then all I need to do is check in, go through security, and wait to board the aircraft that will bring me home to all of you.

I don't think it's really hit me that I'm coming home. Just like it didn't feel real the night before I left. I'm sure this whole trip hasn't hit me yet. I don't feel like I've done it. It's hard to explain. Nevertheless, I have no regrets with this trip. It has been an enlightening experience, educational in more than one way, and most of all, fun! Even when I didn't think I was enjoying myself, I realize that I was. I can say that I was in (fill in the blank)!

It is a bittersweet farewell I say to Europe: I'm thrilled to be coming home to get back to all the things I love, the people I love, but at the same point, I know there are still unexplored cities waiting to be seen and that they're incredible. It just gives me an excuse to come back :)

Don't abandon me quite yet: I know there should be at least one (possibly two) posts after I return home. Again, thank you for sticking with me! I could not have asked for better friends and family! I will see you all in a matter of hours! Love forever!!!

5 comments:

  1. What a nice way to spend your last day! It always is nice when you have everything all packed and ready so you don't have that to think about.

    Do you stop in New York or somewhere else?? I would assume you have lay-overs but I don't know.

    Please continue to be safe and lots of love and good wishes coming your way. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for sharing your trip with us! What a privilege it has been to be able to see it through your eyes!

    Lots of love!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a short lay over in Chicago -- Just a couple hours, then a one hour flight into La Crosse - I should get in about 6:45 so not too bad!!!

    And thanks for reading! There wouldn't have been a point to this without you! Thanks for all the well-wishing and love!!!

    Love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh...I can't believe you're almost done! Safe travels! Eat that last delicious European thing and take one last picture! You've accomplished so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful trip home Steph & give us an update when you settle in. Love you so much!
    Kiwi
    XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This month seems to have flown by for me! I can only imagine how quickly it went for you!

    You know what you've done? You have left this blog wide open for a sequel! You will just have to start planning your next European adventure and "Lost on Purpose II"!

    Safe travels tomorrow,Steph! It will all go smoothly! You're comin' home! Enjoy these last few hours and just wallow in all of the wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete