Friday, May 18, 2012

Arrive London

'Ello, 'ello! (say it in a British accent, it sounds cooler).

So good, friends I have arrived in London. I woke up with the usual up-set stomach I've gotten use to getting on my Travel Days, but it didn't have much to do with being nervous about the train, so much as I don't like train rides or airplane rides. Stupid, really, since cars and driving are highly more dangerous, and I'm more likely to die in a car on the way to the train station or airport, but never the less.

I got dressed and packed and took a cab to the train station and found my platform with no big deal (I had a pretty good feeling I knew which one it was - I had scoped out the area when I picked my ticket up on Wednesday - and the train ride itself was no big deal. I sat next to this friendly girl who's my age and talked to her for part of the time. She's from Liverpool and was heading to London for the weekend to stay with friends, and she thought my accent was cool. Yeah, I have an accent. Anyway she was asking me what we call a bunch of different things in the U.S.A. She was absolutely fascinated by it. I was fascinated she found it fascinating. The circle of life. It turns out she was actually staying in a hotel just down the road from my hostel so we took a cab together from the train station so it was only 3,50 British Pounds for the whole ride. Not bad all things considered.

I've gotten checked into my hostel no biggy and found a nice little cafe that gave me the best omelet I've ever eaten. No lie. I probably couldn't make one better. And I'm a pretty good cook.

Otherwise I have no great plans for the evening. My first big goal tomorrow is to find a place to buy and Oyster Card. It's a card to use on the Metro and is much cheaper than buying single tickets all the time. And I'm going to need the metro to get around London.

Well, that's all for now my good peeps! Love you for always!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like one of your smoother trips! I'm glad you had the foresight to check things out ahead of time so you weren't having anxiety about EVERYTHING. It's bad enough to have the anxiety about traveling without all the other.

    Glad you made it safe and sound and had someone to talk to and ride with. Makes it go so much faster! It's funny how they are going to London "just for the weekend". Can you imagine? I found myself laughing at your description about her finding things facinating and you finding it facinating that she was facinated!! Awesome!!

    We got a Metro card in New York when we were there. YES...cheaper and SO much nicer to just have it and zip on and zip off.

    Enjoy LONDON, BABY!! And say, "'Ello" to everyone you meet!!

    Can't wait for the next update and pics! HAVE FUN!!! Last stop....choo, choo......

    Stay safe! Love you!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAAY LONDON!! You're going to love it!

    I snorted when you said "the circle of life." I dunno, I just found it really funny.

    THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS IN LONDON. Big Ben, the Eye, Westminster Abbey, British people, Buckingham Palace, parks galore, the Globe theatre, double decker buses, phone booths,....OMG I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had a good day today, Steph! Your mom said you were a bit frazzled today. Just remember you don't HAVE to do anything you don't want to during your trip. That's the beauty of a vacation. No time schedules...and if you happen to miss something you wanted it's not the end of the world. You'll just experience something else. EVERYTHING you experience IS an experience. Whether it's staying at the hostel visiting, reading a book, or just people watching it's ALL something new and with your artistic eyes you SEE things others don't. Your only obligation on this trip is to ENJOY what YOU enjoy doing.

    Remember how proud of you we all are and so JEALOUS of what you you're doing. So very few people are brave enough to do this. You'll be home before you know it! Get out and just ENJOY whatever it is that strikes your fancy!

    Stay safe and lots of love and good wishes coming your way!
    Love you!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're right - it is my vacation. Naturally I would hate to miss things, and I'm hoping I don't since I'm here, but as you said it wouldn't be the end of the world. So many of the things I've seen have lasted for hundreds, thousands, of years, and I can always come again.

    It was a bit of 'stressful' day -- I just posted a new post with all the hairy details.

    Thank you so much for the support and good wishes! It means so so so so much!

    ReplyDelete