Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dublin, Ireland

Hello good friends!! So I have arrived in Dublin! It's amazing - all the stress I had was for nothing. Who would have thought? I was completely freaking out this morning. I was hyperventilating, positive something was going to go wrong. I'd miss my bus or the flight, or my baggage would be too heavy and I couldn't take it, even though I'd already gotten rid of as much as possible. . . I had horrible thoughts about what would happen to me. . .And then the staff at the hostel in Paris were so good to me, it made me feel worse, I started balling. . .and they were nicer still. The one guy who worked there called me a cab and told me not to worry. And if something went wrong he'd find a room for me there and help me get a flight again. Feeling very shaky but knowing it was time to move on, I did.

I got the taxi to the bus port - a special one that takes you right to the airport for the quick airlines, like Ryanair, which is what I flew on. I managed to catch an early bus, so I got the airport early -- I like being early -- and I found out right away where I needed to check in, got through security and boarded. I actually met this nice guy who's from Canada, but is working in Ireland on some medical software. He flies Ryanair all the time and completely walked me through it. He talked me through the whole going through security there and how to board -- it's different than normal planes, because there's no assigned seating. You just get on and find a seat.

My only mishap was right before take-off on the plane: there was this German guy who boarded late and had a carry-on that was too big so he was opening up the overheads and pulling people's stuff out carelessly. Including my bag, that has my camera -- I took it out of its case so I'd have enough room in my carry-on. I told him to be careful, and he said "Oh, sorry, Fraulein [what ever they call Maria in the Sound of Music]", then he proceeds to shove my bag in a different bin. Awesome.

The only other time I panicked today was when I was passing through the gate into Dublin. I had to give the guy my passport and he questioned me: What are you doing in Ireland? Where're you staying? Where about in Dublin? How long are you staying? Where are you going after? Are you flying or taking a boat to Liverpool? Then he just stared at me. I thought he wasn't going to let me pass. Finally, he stamped my passport and let me through.

I took a bus shuttle into the city centre and it dropped me off about one street away from my hostel, I checked in, got some supper, and now I'm writing you lovely people! I'm not sure what my plan is for tomorrow, but whatever I do, I'll put up pictures!!!

7 comments:

  1. Wow...your passport trouble looks like what happens in the movies. I'd have a guilty look on my face and they'd think I was some person up to no good. Glad you made it through! Sounds like saying good-bye to Paris was tough. Always hard to leave a place you feel so comfortable and what FABULOUS people at the hostel to help you through it. Remember THAT and not the A-hole who shoved your luggage around.

    Is Ireland as green as everyone always says it is? Sigh.... I'm so jealous of your travels. You are a rock star!!

    Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!! Can't wait for an update!
    Stay safe!
    Love you!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, during the whole passport thing, I was sure I was going to pass out. I could have seen trouble in France...Ireland? Ah, no. Oh, well. I'm here, it's good, I have 90 days til I have to leave country. I'm set.

    It wasn't so much leaving Paris, but leaving the familiarity. I had developed a routine...Get up, go down to breakfast, get dressed, walk down the same hill, past Notre Dame, and go do whatever for six to eight hours, walk back up my hill....talk a bit with the staff... there was one girl in particular who was great...they were so helpful, it was hard leaving that for the unknown, again.

    And I don't feel like a rock star. Hot mess, yeah, but, no rock star. There are times when I'm so pathetic, I don't even like being me, because I know what a wreck I am. I hardly even know what I'm doing, and this whole thing is so crazy....I laugh at myself :)

    But, yes! Everything that I've seen so far, is very green! It's incredible. It's a lot chillier here than in Paris...which was quite a bit colder than Italy. But, I realize Italy was close the equator. I've seen a lot of clouds the last week or so. I'm guessing that's why it's all green.

    I'll post pictures as soon as I get some. LOTS of love! Thanks for the fabulous support and confidence! I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well hook up with Dereck and have a grand time and just imurse in the town and the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if there is a time of day that would be better to call him? I have no idea if he works during the day or not...

      Delete
  4. A next stage of your journey! You'll love Ireland.

    You're doing so well! You know that I had panic and other problems when I was in Europe, but tell you what: I grew from it all. It taught me how to handle myself in scary situations, how to always keep moving. And that's what you're doing. It's scary sometimes, and really tough and frustrating sometimes, but you're doing it. You're moving, you're backpacking through Europe, and you're kicking ass.

    Way to go! Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the unknown that I'm dealing with. After feeling relatively calm in Paris for just over a week, it was hard to go back to that sense of panic. And since I hadn't had it so long it just made me feel so much worse yesterday morning.

      I e-mailed mom and told her I feel like I have a 'good luck' meter and eventually I'm going to run out :) I feel like I've been using a lot lately.

      I'm not sure about the 'kicking ass' part, but I'm doing something. I'm moving through and everything has worked out -- if anything I'm learning a ton. Thanks again for the support!

      Delete
  5. Yay!!! Land of Leprechauns!! Hope you find a pot of gold or at least a great little cafe or bar and meet some awesome Irish :)
    Pretty nice to hear how human beings do their best to take care of other human beings for the most part. Can't wait to see the new pictures you're going to take!!!
    Love
    Kiwi

    ReplyDelete