Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Relaxing Day in Dublin

I must say, other than having the blog to be able to keep in touch with all of you wonderful people, it also keeps me motivated. I woke up this morning and totally, completely, 100% did not feel like going out and doing anything. I wasn't even feeling the motivation to take a shower. I almost need a vacation from my vacation. After all the cultural and historical learning I've been doing, the emotional ups and downs, I'm beginning to feel a bit tired. But, in the back of my head I know that I'm going to put a post up and if I tell you guys all I did was sit in my jammies, not brush my hair or teeth, not take a shower, and do absolutely nothing with my brain all day, I'm going to be told to pull it together because I'm in freaking Dublin! Which is of course, very true, so I made myself get put together and go out.

I only had one real plan of action and that was to walk back down Fleet Street and take a picture of a sign for Mom, that I had told her about. I'll put a picture of it up later. See if you can figure out which one it was (it's not going to be difficult). While I was down there I noticed a traditional Irish sweet shop called Aunty Nellie's and being a lover of chocolate and nearly anything sweet I felt compelled to enter this adorable, completely traditional sweet shop. Oh, holy cow. It wasn't a huge shop, but every inch of it from floor to ceiling was filled all types of candy. Naturally I bought a small bar of Irish made chocolate and when I eat it, it just melts in my mouth. It's so smooth. Mmm.

After the sweet shop, I was just walking around the area and had this older gentleman approach me and start talking to me. Eventually he asked me out on a date. I told him thanks, but no thank you several times, but he said he really wanted to go out on a date with me. Finally I told him I'd think about it and let him know if I change my mind. He seemed happy with that and let me leave without a date for the night.

Since the sun was out and it hadn't rained yet (yesterday the weather wouldn't make up it's mind. It would rain one second and be clear blue skies the next), I thought I'd go back to St. Stephen's Green (the beautiful park I was in yesterday with Derek) and read my book and eat my chocolate (I hadn't tried it at that point yet). I was glad I took Grafton Street again, because there were even more street performers than yesterday. I stopped to watch this act -- a guy in his late 20's -- he had three flaming torches, a 9 foot unicycle (he called it his sucicyle), 7 juggling balls, and a fabulous sense of humor! I don't remember the last time I was so purely entertained. The tricks were fantastic: he walked on his flaming torches, juggled them, juggled them on the unicycle, put the one flame out in his mouth, the other in his boxers (I laughed so hard). He was so entertaining. I wish his performance had lasted longer, but it was about 30 minutes or so. Still, it was great to have the time to stop and just enjoy it. And he wasn't the only performer. There were bands and fiddle players, the sand carvers where there, it was just great and carefree. I wish we had more of that home.

After the guy finished his act, I walked into St. Stephen's Green and found a bit of green cozy grass to pull up and read my books. It was so beautiful. It was so relaxing in the park. Everyone there was just lazing about and soaking in the sun. It felt really good to be out. Naturally, because I have some weird magnet implanted in me, I had this guy, and I'm guessing he was French or Italian, come up to me and just sit down and starting asking me questions. Like I always do, I lied and said I was visiting family and meeting them later. I find it strange how people over here just approach you -- never mind even the male/female thing, but people just come up to you and start talking. In the States, you don't even look at anyone else let alone just approach them. It always throws me for a loop.

Well, tonight I'm going to try to be in bed by a half way decent hour because I have to be up butt-ugly early tomorrow. But, I get to see the Cliffs of Mohr so that's not too bad of reason. Again good homies, we don't get back until late tomorrow night so they very well may not be a post tomorrow. But I'll definitely post Monday since I'm going to plan use the day to rest and get everything packed up again to move on to Liverpool.

Hope you have a fantastically awesome weekend and you can get out and enjoy the weather -- I guess it's nice there right now. Or it was. It's strange. I'll being seeing everyone in under two weeks. I can't believe how fast this is coming to a close.

Love you all!!! Thanks again for the support and love. I can feel it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Steph, you paint a beautiful picture with your words! Sounds like you had another marvelous day....wow.... amazing!

    Ok, so are these guys weird? Do you get that vibe from them? It would be very hard to trust your instincts in such a different atmosphere than here. Glad you're staying on your toes!

    I'm guessing the BadAss one was for your mom?? I thought it was awesome! Reminded me of RedAss here. I hope you got a small souvenier from there.

    The street performers looked sweet! I like the one of the "statue". He looks like our presidents in downtown Rapid here. The sand dog was also pretty cool!

    I'm so glad you're having all these remarkable experiences! THIS is what vacation is all about! Although, you WILL probably need a vacation from your vacation when you get home. You're learning and enjoying SO much it'll take time to recover:-)

    Stay safe, have fun tomorrow at the Cliffs (I'm so jealous) and see if it'll tickle your poetic heart being there!

    Love you! Amis

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bad Ass sign was definately for mom! haha...I had e-mailed her and told her there was a sign I thought she would really like so I snapped a photograph.

    I don't really get the "weird" vibe from them. My spidy-senses don't tingle, but I would still never agree to meet them - I have no or very few contacts over here that I could rely on if for some reason something went badly. I just think the differnce in culture is that strong...it's nothing for them to approach someone. In America men need a bar and alcohol, over here, they just do it.

    I'm definiately going to need a break after I'm done :) It's been a relaxing but also a "working" vacation. I didn't realize how much brain power I'd have to use.

    I"m sure the Cliffs are going to be amazing. I've talked to people in the hostel who've gone on the tour I'm using and they said it was amazing! I actually can't wait.

    Love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Steph! I'm so glad that you decided to get out and enjoy Ireland because (for purely selfish reasons) this was MUCH more fun to read than a day sitting in your jammies! :-) It sounds like you had an absolutely lovely day! Enjoy enjoy the Cliffs of Mohr! I can't wait to see the photos and hear about it!

    ReplyDelete