Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pigeons

Happy Sunday everyone!! I hope you've had an enjoyable weekend and did something fun! Today I met up with Kate, the interesting woman I met on the plane ride over here. She's living in Paris for a month and since we overlapped our times here, we decided to spend the afternoon together.

Even though it was a bit chilly today, it was still a good day to walk around the city and get a bit lost (and we did – although, again, I feel our maps were deliberately changing on us). First, we got a crepe, which was delicious! I had one with home-made chocolate inside of it. . . I really don't understand why we don't have these in America. There's a crepe shop every other building here in Paris. Then we walked through an Antique show with a ton of stuff I can never hope to afford buying, but still very interesting to look at. Again, it's all the work that went into building and creating all this stuff that intrigues me the most.

awhile we stopped for a refreshing drink. . . Coke-a-Cola. . . but the place we got it at, brought it out in a bottle, and gave us a glass with some ice and a fresh wedge of lemon in it. It made the drink taste fabulous. Maybe it's just Paris making everything seem better, but with just that hint of lemon, it completely changed the taste and made it better. I'm drinking all my coke like this from now on.

We walked on and got lunch at an cafe/restaurant. I had this omelet and ham thing, and it was beyond savory! It's a good thing they don't make food in America like this – I'd do nothing but eat all the time. Again, I don't know if it's just Paris, but it was fantastic.

We walked around a bit after lunch and nearly got pooped on by a pigeon. There are so many pigeons in Europe! They don't seem to be bothered by people at all. They just walk around your feet looking for crumbs to eat. Kate and I were looking in a shop window, peering at shoes, and I backed up a just the right moment, because not too soon after, there was pigeon poop right where I had been. Fortunately, Kate was over far enough too that she avoid the spray of it. Awesome, right? I laughed hysterically for several minutes after this, unbelieving how close we came to being covered in pigeon poop.

We got a bit turned around on our walk, but managed to find our way back. And as it turns out, today is the day the French elect a new President, so we ended up walking right into the middle of one of the candidate's 'stage area.' There were stages and cameras and T.V. Crews set up, and police! I bet every police officer and vehicle in Paris was gathered in this area. The people were insane, the traffic was insane – it's a big deal over here. Citizens were setting up stools and bringing snacks, even though the results probably aren't going to be in until later tonight.

Sadly, my friends, no pictures from today. I've been trying to live in the moment the last few days and out of the camera, but for sure, there will be pictures tomorrow. As it's my last day, I will – sun, rain, snow, what ever may come – will make my way to see the Eiffel Tower to complete the Paris experience. It'll be my last day in Paris, so I'm praying for good weather, but I'll make do with what I get. Then I'll be moving onto Dublin on Tuesday. There may or may not be a post Tuesday. I'm hoping to get to my hostel and get my internet hooked up, to at least let you all know I made it. It'll be great to be back in a country where they speak English. Or can at least understand me.

Hugs and kisses!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That would have sucked to be pooped on!

    I remember having that same feeling: "Is this food really good because it just IS, or is it just that I'm in Europe?" I never came to a decision. :)

    It's nice that you're allowing yourself sometime away from your camera. Sometimes it's good to look at things with your own eyes and let some special moments pass, and just hold on to them in your memory.

    Enjoy your last couple days in Paris! Soak it in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw online yesterday that the election was today and I hoped you wouldn't have run into the crowds. Sounds like a huge deal this time around in their government. Wow... you sure got into the thick of it!

    We had french toast in your honor this morning! I'm glad you had a good day, too!

    I miss the pictures but I TOTALLY understand. It's nice to just LOOK and enjoy. Hope you have a fabulous last day in Paris!

    Continue to stay safe!
    Love you!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete