Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Bit of an Update

Arrive Liverpool! Yeah!

I'm going to recap the last few days a bit. On Saturday I met this really nice girl from Canada at my hostel, named Rochelle. She has a working visa so she's moving to Dublin for a year to work. Anyway, we sort of hit it off right away so we just sat and talked for a few hours about our lives and travels. Since I was going to the Cliffs of Mohr on Sunday we didn't see each other, but yesterday we both sort of stayed in the hostel for the better part of the afternoon, relaxing.

As it turns out, there's an organization for the people who are working in Ireland on a Visa, and they have dinner every night at this pub, so Rochelle asked me to go with, and since it was my last night in Dublin, I thought "why not?"

Dinner was fantastic! The group of people who showed up were amazing! I could tell they've stuck together and have formed bonds. They told stories about each other and talked about living and working in Ireland. They were fabulous. They were infectious with their vibrant moods. And right before we went to dinner I got a surprise phone call from home from my good friend Jack. It was so lovely to hear a voice I know. It completely made my day. So that on top of dinner was just the perfect end to the evening.

Of course now though, everyone in the group wants me to apply for a Visa and go work in Ireland for a year. Rochelle said I already know people so it would be great. I'll think about it :) It could be fun.
So this morning since I had some time before my bus was going to pick me up, Rochelle and I went for a walk around Dublin and we had coffee and cake at a little cafe. It was a nice morning out too, so I was thrilled to have something to do other than sit in my hostel.

I did eventually get the bus to the airport, and while I was waiting to check in (couldn't do it until 2) I talked with this funny older lady from London and she told me funny stories about when she was younger and back packing with her friends. It's just great.

The plane ride was something strange. It was suppose to depart at 5:15 so we board at 4:45. Well, we were all in line and waiting, but there was no one to take our boarding passes, it's already after 5:00. I'm beginning to think our flight was canceled. Finally they let us on, we all sit down (and bonus -  not a full flight so I wasn't packed in like a sardine this time) we get going down the run way, and we sit there. And sit. And sit. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with the plane and they were going to make us switch or cancel the flight entirely. And of course I'm thinking if there is something wrong and we take off, the plane is going to blow up.

But, fortunately I've arrived in Liverpool (got to the hostel by taxi -- really nice guy) and I'm just updating everyone quick before I go find a bite to eat before bed.

I hope everyone has a fabulous week and I can't wait to see you all. Love always!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safe and sound and what a wonderful way to spend the last day in Dublin! Sounds like a wonderful group of people you met! What are some of the pros/cons of working there? Just facinating stuff!

    I'm sure you'll be meeting lots of other cool and interesting people the next 10 days. It's just great how you're getting out there and SEEING!

    Hope you sleep well and have another wonderful adventure tomorrow! Can't wait for another post!

    As always, stay safe and lots of love coming your way!
    Smooch!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pro and cons -- well, you get to work in a different country: the experience of doing it, no matter where you work is looks good on a resume. If you have trouble finding a perment job you can worry about money a bit, but the temp agencies usually find a place for you.

    What was so great about the group of people I met was that I could tell they weren't living glamorous lives, but they were working to live, not living to work. They make enough money to pay the bills and eat, but then they enjoy themselves. It was so infectious and made me realize I want to do more of that. Not just work.

    And as hard as parts of this trip have been, it's been really good for me too. I can tell I look at things differently and I know there are parts of my life and myself I want to change for the better. Europe aside, the self exploration has been crazy too. Naturally everything else is great too, but the other stuff can't be bought.

    Tomorrow should be good. I've got a few things on my to-do list, so that'll be interesting.

    Love you too!!! Can't wait to see you guys this summer!

    ReplyDelete