Monday, May 21, 2012

"You might find me, if you like, around Fleet Street, I wouldn't wonder."

"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit, and the vermin of the world inhabit it, and its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit, and it goes by the name of London. At the top of the hole sit a privileged few, making mock of the vermin of the lower zoo, turning beauty into filth and greed..." Yes? Well, not really. But then I'm not a demon barber living in London seeking revenge on a corrupt judge for imprisoning me, stealing my wife, and adopting my daughter, so I guess my perspective is a bit different.

I hate saying this guys, but whoa - I'm getting exhausted! My brain feels like it's overflowing from all the stuff I've been taking in. It's been great and fun and inspirational, but sometimes I think if I see one more magnificent thing I might keel over. That being said I went out today to go to one of the streets I really wanted to see (and if you couldn't guess by the title of this post or the quote at the beginning) I went to Fleet Street! The street that Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett operate their sinister establishments!

I LOVED Fleet Street! It was so lively and bustling it felt like what London should feel like, I think. It was amazing just walking up and down and there were some really cool looking buildings! I could tell they were older than in other parts of the city which are so modernized. In addition to walking up and down the street, there's a door, just a black door in the wall of shops, that you can go through, and behind the door is an alley (I know this is sounding like a badly budgeted horror film). But, if you walk down the alley at the end is the Temple Church. I don't know a ton about the church, but it had a really cool build to it. I didn't go in because they're charging quite a bit to do so, but it was an interesting alley. There were a bunch of building that were all connected back there, and I saw a ton of sharply dressed men and women walking through there and into the buildings. I felt like they're secret agents and were walking into the secret headquarters. I felt like a slob compared to how they all looked.

After that, I took the Metro to what I believed to be Hyde Park. Apparently not. So, I looked at my map and it didn't look like that far of a walk so I started going the direction I need to enter Hyde Park. Apparently I haven't gotten any better at judging distances because it took me an hour to walk there. But it was a nice walk and something I think I really needed. It felt good to be walking again. I love the Metro because you're where you need to be really quick, but I feel like I've exchanged that for losing a bit of the culture of the city.

I did eventually get to Hyde Park and it was really peaceful so I took out my book, took off my shoes and socks, and sat in the grass and read for awhile. It was great! It really felt like a nice day in the city of London.

I felt quite calm today, which after Saturday and the leftovers of Saturday yesterday, it felt nice to be so free from the stress. Tomorrow I don't have much of a plan other than trying to get my butt out of bed at a half way decent time and put some hustle in morning so I can get down to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guard. I don't have too much planned for Wednesday and Thursday other than trying to get all my stuff in order and re-packed so I can come home organized on Friday.

It's hard to believe this is really coming to the end. It doesn't feel like I've been away for 5 weeks. Love for you all from London.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. I'm so glad you're seeing what you wanted to see in London!

    Sometimes alleys are just the thing you should explore! How cool that you found the alley and the Temple church!

    Enjoy the Changing of the Guards. It's so royal and fancy, you'll really like it! Definitely worth waking up early for!

    Enjoy your last few days! ALSO, I'll be in the La Crosse area on the weekend of June 16th, so we should plan to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just asked my wonderful brother to take me off work for that weekend, but no matter what I'll find a way to meet up with you. I can't wait to actually TALK about my trip with everyone and show you more pictures! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete