Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Lazy Day

Alright people, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I really didn't do much of anything today. Finally, around noon I made myself get dressed and walk into the city center to find a stand with paninis (I think that's how it's spelt – it's a fresh baked, long piece of bread, with cheese and meat inside, that they grill for you) for lunch. I found one and parked myself on a bench on one of the many bridges here and Paris, and ate my lunch. As for my fickle friend the rain, it never actually rained today. There were big, black, storm-like clouds in the sky all day, but I never felt a single drop. Unbelievable. I'm sitting in the common area of my hostel now and it's finally raining (at 6:45 at night). I guess I could have gone to the Eiffel Tower. That's alright. I'll go on the day there aren't storms forecasted for.

Afterward I simply walked around the bridges near the river. A lot of people have these green box stands they open up and sell some pretty cool things from. Some of the stuff is normal touristy things (key rings, purses, etc.) but some people sell paintings they've done, old books, old money, just about everything. I like looking at it. It feels like authentic Paris (whatever that is). Otherwise I've just lazed about all day. Nothing too thrilling.

I do feel a bit like a local though, walking the same route everyday into town, not even needing to consult my map anymore. I'm pretty stoked about that. It's weird, I'm about half way through my entire trip. Actually on Tuesday when I leave for Dublin, it will be exactly half. I don't feel like I've been gone that long. But then I feel as if I've been gone a really long time too.

Love you all as much as ever!

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call walking around Paris without a map and having lunch...while thinking about your plans for Dublin next week is "doing nothing" :) Hope you get some good weather tomorrow & get to the Eiffel Tower ! Love you!
    Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't seem possible you're almost half way through. Think of all the things you've seen and have yet to see?? So happy for you!!

    Safe travels!!

    Love you! Amis

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird. I come back the 25th -- yesterday was the 5th -- that left exactly 20 days. It's strange.

    This has been a great experience -- I can't believe how much I've learned and how much there still is to learn! An entire world of knowlege is just out there! It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete