Sunday, May 20, 2012

"Remember, remember the 5th of November..."

Alright, so after yesterday's full blown melt down, today was better by a massive amount. I woke up with still a bit of fear inside, like the bad leftovers of a hangover or medicine that makes it so you don't quite feel like you. I had this strong compulsion to stay in and stay "safe." It wasn't the same fear I had my very first day that included the fear of an unknown place and cultures, but more a fear of myself -- I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep it together outside of my bedroom, afraid of looking ridiculous (I can understand people here - before if they talked about me I had no clue), and afraid of being afraid. So as much as I dreaded/hated it, I finally made myself go out and take on the great city of London.

I decided after yesterday, I needed to do something that would trigger the "Oh, this is London" response from me, so I decided to go see the Tower Bridge. I hopped onto the metro (fortunately having figured that out yesterday) and got off and started making the short walk to the bridge. As soon as I got the street and it came into view all of the leftover weight from yesterday's stress seemed to fall away. It was incredible to be walking under the bridge that basically defines London. Everyone knows this place. I was walking across it and took a few pictures of myself on the bridge and few pictures of the bridge and started thinking about when I have children and they see it and I can be like, "I took a trip to London and walked on that bridge." It finally hit me that, no matter what, I have done this and it can't be undone or taken away. It's not like I didn't know that before, but for some reason it finally hit me.

So moving on from the Tower Bridge I walked down to London Bridge (not much to boast about) but I did it so I can say I have, walked across it and hopped back on the metro to go see the buildings of Parliament and naturally Big Ben. I got off the metro and this is so silly - I thought I was on the opposite side of the river, so when I got off the metro I didn't even bother to look at the building that was right off the platform and start making my way to the Eye of London - which I spotted right away. It wasn't until I looked at my map and was half way across the Westminster Bridge did I realize I had walked right on by Parliament and Big Ben! I turned around and stood back and looked at the iconic structures. Talk about incredible! I love the movie V for Vendetta but oh my gosh! I'd cry if these fantastic works of art were destroyed! They are simply fabulous! I just stood on the bridge looking at the buildings. I actually got to hear Big Ben ring and it a spectacular moment. I don't know if it's just because it's London, but the bell sounded more magical than a normal bell.

Since the wind was picking up and the day was getting on (and apparently everything in Europe closes at 5 on Sundays) I decided to head back to the hostel, briefly stopping for some fish and chips and my dodgy little place, since it was delicious yesterday.

I want to thank you all again for the support, love, prayers, good vibes, and everything else you all sent this way yesterday. I know that is a large part of why I was able to get out and move around today. I love that I'm travelling in a time where I have the ability to connect to everyone. I don't know what I'd have done if I wouldn't have been able to get a hold of people yesterday. Tess, thanks again for texting Mom for me! Mom, thanks for calming support, and my fabulous brother, thanks for all the help with the bank stuff! I know I keep saying it, but it feels unreal this trip is nearly over -- it's just a matter of days now. I can't wait to hug you all again! Love from London coming your way!

5 comments:

  1. I'm just happy that I was on Facebook right at that moment that you sent me the message! :-) I was ready to drive to La Crescent and find your mom if she didn't answer my text right away! But she got it and was home. Yay!

    I'm so happy that today was a good day for you!! You took some awesome photos! I love the one with you and Big Ben!

    You're right about London Bridge. Go ahead and fall down, London Bridge! :-)

    Enjoy these last few days to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! When I saw that you responded right away I gave such a huge sigh of relief - I was practically hyperventilating with stress and even though mom couldn't do anything, I knew I'd feel better if I could communicate with her.

      Seriously, I thought for the longest time that Tower Bridge was London Bridge. You say "London Bridge" to most people and I'm sure the plain one is not the one that pops into mind.

      Thanks again for everything Tess! You've been amazing!

      Delete
  2. Yay, Steph!!! You overcame your fears and went out and had a fabulous day! I LOVE the pics and you're all decked out in London gear! It looks wonderful!

    I'm so happy you got out there and saw such incredible things!!

    Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY these last few days! I'm hoping since you're staying put for the last leg you'll feel more and more comfortable each day and it'll end on a positive note!

    Continue to stay safe and lots of love coming your way!
    Smooches!
    Amis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, pushing through that anxiety! I remember having a similar moment with Big Ben, when I realized that it was something I thought I would never see and THERE IT WAS. I'm so happy that you're out there, seeing all these amazing sites. From now on, you'll always remember that moment on the bridge, when you saw those iconic buildings and heard the bell ring. Congratulations! You have a memory very few people back here in the Midwest have!

    Beautiful pictures. Rock on with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guy! Yesterday turned out to be good! It was good to get out and occupy my mind and get over the fear!

    I know I would have regetted it if I hadn't! Thanks for the continued support and prayers! I know they've been helping!

    ReplyDelete