Thursday, April 26, 2012

Walk Like a Roman Pictures

 This is the Triton Fountain. Not much but still kinda cool.

This is really the best view I got of the Trevi Fountain. It's a huge thing, but I couldn't even get down to the bottom. Mostly seeing all the water made me want to go for a swim.
 Some of the ceiling in the Vatican.
 Outside the Vatican
 I couldn't get a great pic of these, but an entire hall is full of these painted maps. Painted over 1000 years ago (of Italy) they are surprisingly accurate. The pope at the time these were painted wanted to know exactly where he would have to go and what he'd encounter while traveling, he had men for 10 years, figuring out the exact lay of the land, then had them painted.
 These books are at least 1000 years old, in different languages, and they all speak about the different versions of the story of the Virgin Mary. They're in a room called Immaculate Conception.
 A very to-the-point painting. The damn guy wouldn't move so that's what there is.

The only picture I got of the Sistine Chapel. It's huge in there. I can't believe the detail Michelangelo put in. I don't know how he did it upside down. Some of the paintings actually look like they're coming out of the ceiling. Really neat to see in person.

 Me in St. Peter's Basilica
My Umbrella in Rome. I haven't figured out the self timer yet so I'll take a pic with it later.
 These angels are actually bigger than a full grown man and they line the entire Church in St. Peter's. This is the illusion. I thought they were maybe three feet tall.
Here are more of the angels. This is about half the pillar. I couldn't fit it all into the picture.

5 comments:

  1. oh my god stef, how exciting.. these pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pictures don't even do a lot of it justice. It's so hard to convey in photos and descriptions the actual feel you get standing in some of these places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHUT. UP.

    These pictures are fantastic. In my Art History courses, we talked a lot about the Sistene Chapel. One of the painters who applied for the job but didn't get picked said later that Michelangelo's humans looked like sacks of potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do NOT look like sacks of potoes! They are shockingly realistic -- but Michelangelo spent a ton of time disecting human corpses so he could get the details right...I think your teacher my have had some sour grapes :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it was the painter who wanted Michelangelo's job who said those things. Mural painting was crazy competitive back then. It's just so funny to hear someone say something NEGATIVE about the Sistine Chapel, one of the most amazing artistic feats of all time. :)

      Delete