Sunday, April 29, 2012

Paris, France

Hello Homies! Alright, I know you're looking at the title and going "WHAT?!" Yeah, I'm in Paris a day early. What happened last night was I met up with Charlotte (who was going to go to France with me on Monday) again and her circumstances changed so she was leaving for France today. She told me not to change my plans, but honestly, I was still coming off of Friday's train experience and knew the odds of me being able to get such great help was unlikely twice in a row. That and Charlotte knew a cheaper way to get to Paris than I was going to take.
So this morning we left Genova and got on a train to Antibes, France. She was meeting a friend there, but it was about half way to Paris. And she said that her friend Christoph who was meeting her is a really good family friend and he would help me out (because last night my panic was back -- I was now in an even more remote part of Italy with a ton less English speaking people). So I quickly booked a hostel for tonight and the next two nights in Paris and planned to leave with her in the morning. We knew we'd just get our tickets for the train when we got to the station. And as it turns out, it was storming all the way up and down the coast so we wouldn't have really been able to do our walk through Cinque Terre and really appreciate it. Since it was going to be my last day I didn't feel like I had seriously missed out.

The trip to Paris was very nearly flawless. We got to Antibes and this is where Charlotte and Christoph were going to leave me. I was worried about missing the train, but really, it turned out there were only 2 platforms that were right next to one another so no biggy. But since it's travel something had to not go right. When I tried to purchase my ticket to Paris neither my debit or credit card worked. Since Christoph is a Frenchman (and a really nice guy -- he and Charlotte were so nice to me and they didn't even know me. They treated me like and old friend and I could not have been more grateful) I showed him my cards and he told me in France they do a lot less "credit" and more things with a pin. The lady at the station ran my debit as credit and he figured that's why it didn't work. Nevertheless, I paid for my ticket in cash, which left me just enough for my hostel and (per the advice of my two companions) a taxi from the train station to my hostel. They were so nice: they waited with me for about an hour (my train didn't leave until 4 and they stayed until about 2:30). On top of everything, Christoph gave me the phone number for his niece here in Paris in case I need anything. He said to call her and tell her I'm a friend of his and she'll help me out. Unbelievable!
They also told me not to worry too much about the language barrier. Christoph said it's practically mandatory for everyone in France to learn English so everyone should speak at least enough to communicate. Relief! I was a little worried leaving Italy where I had become accustom to Italian that I was sort of getting the hang of it and now I'd be starting over with French. He also had me practice a couple of phrases in French - apparently I have an amazing accent. He asked if I was sure I hadn't learned French as a child. I laughed a bit here.

I obviously made my train no problem, and got a taxi here so that's all good -- and the taxi fare wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - not even close. That way I didn't have to deal with the metro at night with my luggage.

I don't have free Internet here, so I may not be on as frequently - I am going to stay in Paris at least until next Monday, but I'm going to move hostels, probably to something cheaper. Honestly, I'm paying a lot more this place for quite a bit less accommodation (I realize it's a hostel, but compared to the last ones, I would at least like free Internet. Tomorrow I have to figure out my cards and hope to God they worked otherwise I have 20 euros to my name. My credit card had worked this morning when I bought my first ticket, so I'm not sure what's going on (that was of course in Italy, so we'll see).

And mom, I never got an e-mail from you: did you send it to my gmail? I'm hoping to find a free Internet cafe sometime and hook up so I can get back to everyone. What a crazy day. I'm really tired. I've been up since 5:30 this morning. So I'm thinking I'm going to sleep in tomorrow and maybe just rome around this area since I'm staying for so long -- there's no need to rush for once.

I hope to get on here tomorrow but if not, don't worry -- I've just got to find some free Internet. Till later peeps!!!

6 comments:

  1. It's so nice that you have so much time to just roll with the punches and not have much for time constraints. Sounds like everything worked out as it should. Enjoy Paris! Wow... what trip you're having! Hope you get your cards figured out so you're not preoccupied with dealing with money! Lots of good thoughts and vibes coming your way! Continued safe travels! Love, Amis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Paris already. Best to just go with the flow! If nothing else, try a bank in Paris. I'm sure they can help you figure things out. Yes, I sent an email from gmail account, but I had a funny feeling it didn't go through. It just acted weird. At least we know my email at work does just fine! It's 7:30 pm here, so I know you're long since in bed. I hope tomorrow is wonderful for you. Even if you just explore around your hostel. A knowing you have at least a week should make you feel less stressed. Don't forget that Mickey D's is supposed to have free internet! Have a great Monday Honey! Sounds like the people you've met have been awesome. Do like Brian said and get all their info. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you're meeting people! You're going to love Paris...it was one of my favorite places when I was there and I desperately want to go back.

    So are you not going to Cinque Terre then? If you're not, too bad, but it gives you more of a reason to come back later! :)

    Regarding Cards: Did you call your bank to let them know that you'd be traveling abroad? Sometimes when they see the foreign purchases, they lock your account in case your card got stolen.

    I'm glad you're doing well. The anxiety of traveling alone is totally natural and just something you have to be patient with yourself about. You're doing something new and wonderful and scary, so it makes sense. You're handling all this wonderfully, though, so great job!

    Enjoy Paris. Dangit I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness! Yes, I've gotten everyone's info and we're planning on staying in touch. Unfortunately no Cinque Terre (but Brian, you're right - something to do next time). I'm glad I was in Genova though -- it had the real authentic Italian feel I was looking for.

    I've actually descided to stay at the Hostel I'm in because it turns out it's in a great part of town and I looked into other hostels and nothing is really cheaper, so not worth the move -- I'll have to change rooms here twice because of availability, but ah well.

    I actually didn't feel that great this morning -- I slept alright, but I came down for the free breakfast and actually felt sick eating, but since I didn't know if I'd get money any time soon, I thought I'd better eat what's free. I went back to bed for about another 4 hours, and woke up feeling much better. I think it's just all the traveling and the emotional upheavals that have been wearing on me. Some really good sleep without worrying about needing to be somewhere was nice.

    I got up and tested my ATM card and it worked!! And when I reserved rooms for the next week the girl was nice enough to try my credit card and that worked too! What a relief! I had told my bank but they've screwed things up before so I was worried I wouldn't be able to get my money.

    Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the day: maybe try some food - there's some really good looking and good smelling shops right next to the hostel. Mmmmm! Later peeps!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding I'm a Stephanie Blog junkie. I check multiple times a day just to see what new adventure you're getting into. I'm so glad your cards worked and you don't have that to worry about now. With a whole week to do anything you want whenever you want take your time and just enjoy. Seems like we hurry, hurry, hurry in our everyday lives that it's hard sometimes give yourself permission to slow down. Take nice deep breaths and soak it all up! I sure hope you find internet so we get updates. LOVE to see pictures and hear from you! Continued safe travels! Love you! Amis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming a Stephanie Blog Junkie too! I check it multiple times a day to see what's happening in your world! :-)

      Delete