Wednesday, April 25, 2012


 Santa Maria Maggiore outside
 A cool door handle. It didn't come out great, but people were trying to get through the doorway, so I couldn't get another.
 The ceiling in one of the side rooms. All paintings.
 I'm not sure what it was, but when I walked into the side room with this statue, I could hear my footsteps echoing on the marble and it took me a few seconds to realize I was crying. My heart recognized something standing infront of this crucifix.
 Can you imagine what it took to carve this? Unreal.
 The Colosseum: you can see the layers where it's broken off. And the holes where the metal was removed.


 This is one the remaining ruins of the Palace on Palestine Hill. The statues were built to be big and intimidating.
 Most of Palatine Hill was built out of colored marble. The little slab above was the Emporer's Crest. This marble is worth 75,000 Euro per kilo. It takes 3 hours to cut a three centimeters of this sort of marble.

A veiw of the Roman Forum from Palastine Hill. No wonder each new king wanted to live on this hill. I'd pay for that view (there's an even better view from one of the higher balconies but it was currently under renovation).

The blue door you see on the middle building: that door, handles, and key made of brass, in still perfect working condition, has been in exsitence for more than 1000 years.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Great pictures Steph. Keep them coming. Although I was really expecting one of your toes by now. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, there willl be feet pictures. Unfortunately/Fortunately I'm wearing good walking shoes, so toe pics are few and far between. Perhaps Friday on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW.
    COOL.

    See, I'm aching. I wish I was seeing what you're seeing! Rome seems fantastic.

    That's a good picture of you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian!! I'm sure I could spend a month in Rome and not see everything or spend enough time in any place. It's been amazing so far and really it's only been two full days.

      And I haven't posted even close to all the pics -- besides it takes quite a bit of time to upload one photo, I didn't even realize I was taking as many as I did. I have over 200 from day one. I thought I maybe took 50.

      Delete