Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Checked In

Totally not going to lie right now, I had a bit of a break down right after I posted my first post. Between being super tired and having lugged my duffel around unnecessarily, I was feeling a bit crazed. Then, I added to my own misery (because the best thing to do when you're feeling emotionally distraught is to become a masochist) I started freaking out about where I am going to go when I check out Friday morning. All the while I kept thinking "How do I get out of Italy as fast as I can?" Between the Italian speaking people (all of whom I was positive kept looking at me and thinking, 'another dumb American'), and my computer crashing right after I finished publishing my last post and me thinking I was now completely cut off from everyone, I was getting a little stressed.

Fortunately, I have now checked in and my hostel is AMAZING!!! Key cards to get into the room and bathrooms, very clean and the staff has been incredibly helpful so far. They told me where to go to get an adapter for my computer (the only problem having been it ran out of battery), and later they're taking anyone who wants to go on a free night walking tour of Rome. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do this. I've now been up for over 24 hours and am thinking I might turn in early so I can get up and go tomorrow right away. And bonus, I've now gotten a chance to change my underwear and let me tell you, there is nothing like a fresh pair of panties waiting to get into a bundle to make a girl feel refreshed.

I have to say, despite the hormone crisis, I have had some time to think about the city and it is honestly beautiful. Some of the cliches we think of are so true: motorcycles lining the streets, roads with just enough room to drive a very small car down, Italians walking hurriedly with one another speaking in sexy Italian, the sound of cars speeding by, constant honking, are all true. But at the same time, I haven't run into anyone who believes me to be an arrogant American. I'm staying in a 6 person dorm, and right now it's me and two guys. Both are very nice and thankfully not embarrassed to be sharing a room with a girl (too bad if they were because that's how it goes here). I have no clue if the other beds are going to fill up at all. Another bonus of the day: there's an elevator. I only used it to bring my luggage up, but when I came back from getting my adapter, I thought, "Hey, I've been going to the gym every other day for the last 4 months so my cardio is good, I'm going to walk the steps." Six flights of stairs later and I'm thinking I'm going to cancel my gym membership.

Alright, well, I think I'm going to stop blogging for today. I am going to get my camera out and take some pictures of the street from my window.

P.S. I'm heading straight to Cinnque Terre after Rome. Any suggestion on hostels would be appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Steph! I hope you're having a good time already!!!! Glad you made it safe and didn't cry too much :P

    Anyways, keep us posted, and where's the pictures at?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you made it safe & sound. Keep us updated on your adventure. Miss you and love you!
    Aunt Fafa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Steph!!!!!!! SO, SO, SO excited for you! You're going to have an amazing journey! I remember YEARS ago you were talking about doing this and writing a book. Can't believe you're old enough to do it! So jealous and so happy for you! ENJOY!!! Love you! Amis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!! Yeah, I finally got a nap in, have had some supper here at the hostel, and I think I'm going to do a bit of research on where I'm going Friday, then heading to bed. I think if I can start out fresh tomorrow I'll be good. Miss and love you all too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Glad you like your hostel. You'll find that there's a broad spectrum of hostel quality. :) It's all part of the experience though.

    As far as hostels in Cinque Terre go, I'm not sure if I can remember where I stayed. It was somewhere in Riomaggiore. Try to get something that's smack dab in one of the cities. The one I had was in one of those brightly colored buildings, where I could hear the ocean every morning. YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE THAT PLACE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I tried to find something, but came up without anything. I have a reservation at a hostel in Genoa (about a 2 1/2 hour train ride from Cinque Terre). I leave on Friday. I bought a ticket that I hope is going there, otherwise I'm in trouble. But, the hostel I'm staying in is right in the middle of the city and has a great view, so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete