Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ROME!!!!

Hello my American peeps! I'm missing you all already. I know, it hasn't even been a full day. Any who, the flights both went well. It was a little difficult leaving the La Crosse Airport after saying good-bye to Mom, Tina Mom, and Adam. I had to sit with my sunglasses on for part of the trip to Chicago so everyone wouldn't seeing me crying like a fool. Yeah, I rock. Getting onto the plane in Chicago was no biggy. I actually had a pretty descent seat: I was in the Emergency Exit row so I had a ton of extra leg room, was on the isle and only had one person to sit next to. And as it turns out, I really like the woman I sat next to. Her name was Kate and she travels all the time. I'm guessing she was in her mid-thirties. Kind of a quirky lady, but in a really fun way. I talked to her for part of the 9 long hours we were in the air. She's actually moving to Paris for a month after she finishes a work conference here in Rome. It was extremely comforting to have someone who travels a lot to talk to. Oddly enough after I got in the plane I haven't really been worried about my travelling. Strange I know, but I'm feeling pretty level with it at the moment.

We landed in Rome and I got a ticket to get on the train directly into Rome. I got off the train and left Kate without a problem, but apparently my lack of direction was setting in because God forbid I be able to figure out what street I'm on. It took me long enough to figure out there aren't street signs, but the name of the street in carved into the wall of the building on each corner. I walked around with my big heavy duffel bag (side note -- I was extremely worried I was going to go over the 50lbs limit and have to throw something out at the airport: 46 1/2 pounds!!! Cutting it close), for close to 45 minutes, even though my hostel was indicated to only be a 5 minute walk from the train station. I'm sure that's actually what it is, but I subconsciously decided I wanted the scenic tour. Nothing like the feeling your arm is going to fall off dragging a 50 pound bag, while in a foreign country, lost, and not knowing anyone. Yeah, that's the way to do it.

So I finally figure out where my hostel is (after entertaining a lot of the shop workers by walking back and forward in front of their shop about 3 times each), and get paid up. I can't actually check in here until 1:30, but that's where I'm sitting typing this. I have to go down a couple blocks later and get a power adapter for my stuff.

It's a weird feeling being in one of the oldest cites in the world, but right now I'm not feeling much motivation to do anything. Probably just from being tired. I maybe got an hour of not so great sleep on the plane. I'm thinking tonight I'm just going to lay in bed and figure out my next move for Friday morning. I'll hit the ground running tomorrow with the Colosseum and Vatican City (which includes some of the really neat churches and possibly the Sistine Chapel.

Love you all!!!

4 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO! You're in ROME, baby!! :-) So glad the flights went well!! I just had to check your blog before I went to work and was so excited to see a post from Rome! Enjoy the hell out of Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job! GO STEPH GO STEPH!

    I'm so excited to hear about your experiences in Rome. It sounds like your first day was similar to my first day on my own: figuring out the streets, wandering a lot pretending like I know what I'm doing, mumbling occasionally to myself saying things like "oh, that's not it" or "okay, so its' THAT road, and then THAT road..."

    Proud of you. This is such an exciting thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just keepit up and glad you have your tourist feet just keep going so you don' regret not seeing something

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Jack!! Yeah, I'm definately feeling better about everything today. I just think it was all the nerves I didn't feel before. It hadn't felt like nerves before so I think I didn't recognize it for what it was. But knowing you're all there rooting for me really helps.

    ReplyDelete