Thursday, April 26, 2012

Perception

I just want to make a note of something that occurred to me today. It has to do with perception. When I first arrived in Rome, the whole thing of constantly hearing Italian was freaking me out. I kept thinking "how am I going to survive here?" Now after 2 1/2 days of being in Italy I'm not finding it scary or strange anymore. I haven't been here so long I understand what is being said around me, but like signs at the train station and signs indicating miscellaneous stuff around the city I find I nearly always know what it means. This all of course, makes sense logically: it's immersion. The thing I find truly peculiar is that now when I hear "proper" English, it throws me for a loop. What I mean is when I hear someone talking in English without an Italian accent or without a different accent, it actually shocks me more. Never mind that all the time, I'm thinking and speaking in English always wondering if people are going to be able to understand me when I speak to them.

At my hostel all the staff at least speak English (some with an accent -- some clearly having been born and raised in America) so I don't find that weird, maybe because I expect it there, but it's when I'm out wandering the streets that it shocks me. I think "what's someone from America doing here? Oh, wait, I'm here too!"

If this one trip has taught me anything, it really is the importance of learning another language, any language. I feel a bit douche-bagish when I start speaking to someone and they clearly are native to somewhere and can switch back and forward for me. For example, one of the guys who was staying in my hostel was from Germany. I can't speak any German and when he realized that, he switched over to English. When I was riding the train into Rome after landing, a family on the train asked if we (me and Kate, my flight buddy) could speak French -- that was all I understood. The guy immediately switched to English. Here at least, if I could speak French, it would be close to Italian. I just find it strange how Americans fully rely on everyone understanding English. It makes me feel bad, actually. So now, more than ever, when I get home, I'm determined to learn another language.

6 comments:

  1. Nothing like getting away from your own culture a bit to have your eyes opened to so much more. Why aren't all American children learning a second language? How amazing that you're adapting day by day and finding a way to be comfortable with everything around you that's different. Next Tuesday it's Blog and Booze night so we can all catch up and drink a toast to you! We old ladies know how to party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph!!!! I had to cheat, Tess and I were talking about you today. Glad to hear it's all going so well. You are seeing some amazing things and have some fantastic photos!! I love all the inside stories that you never learn about in history class, it is so cool. Keep the blogs and photos coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell already....you've already caught the traveling-abroad bug! :-) When you get back you'll know exactly what Brian is talking about when he says he's 'aching' because he isn't over there too!

    I'm so glad its already been an amazing trip and you're only two days into it! You are the epitome of 'carpe diem'! Way to go, Steph!!!

    And damn right, Tammy, us 'old ladies' DO know how to party! (although I am terribly offended by the word 'old'!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. now you just do what you want people are more accustom to english the we are of others language so stay safe and rock and roll when you have time
    dont miss any thing you will regret later see all you can and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Steph....looks like you're having an amazing time and an unexpected spiritual journey! Fabulous!!! I can not WAIT until I see you in person to tell us more! I'm loving the inside stories and pictures and hearing what you're feeling through it all! Have fun, be safe and continued safe travels! Love you! Amis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AGREE. I'm thinking of picking up German. WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete